Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Am A Dreamer, Take Me Higher, Open The Sky Up, Start A Fire...

   We're supposed to dream big right? It isn't just something we tell little kids so that they think beyond being the cart guy at Wal-Mart for "what I wanna be when I grow up", right? What happens when you dream big and reach those dreams? Where do you go from there? It's like an Olympian aiming for gold, or someone who wins the lottery, once you have it all, then what do you do?
    Those are all questions I have been pondering as of late. For years my dreams were to be a vet tech, to compete at the world show, to be an apprentice and Lew Sterrett's stallion handler.With the passing of those goals the past 6 months have been ones of feeling like I'm just shooting in the dark. For my whole life I always knew what I wanted to do next and even had a general timeline I wanted to accomplish those things in.
    For several months now it has seemed that every time I set out to try and accomplish any form of new goal that it was continually blocked, but as always, God is faithful. A week and a half ago was the Utah Horse Trainer's Challenge Kickoff at the Golden Spike Arena here in Ogden Utah. The way the challenge works is that multiple trainers from around the state compete in horsemanship, reining, and freestyle classes. At the end of the preliminary competition 4 finalists are chosen and draw for an unbroke 2 year old that they have to catch out of the pen (which is very amusing to watch). Each finalist takes their 2 year old home and has 2 months to train them before returning to the Utah Horse Expo and compete again for the title. I would like to compete in the challenge next year or the year after so I figured attending would give me a good idea of what the expectations are. What I didn't know was that the champion from the past 2 years, Marty Simper, was judging the kickoff event. Not only was Marty judging, but to my pleasant surprise so was Dr. Sam Hendrix from Mountain Horse Medical Center in Park City Utah.
    At the end of the event, and after building up enough guts, I approached Marty about riding with him and Dr. Hendrix about a job. After speaking with both of them I was told to call back in a week or so. Well, it has been over a week, so my biggest task this morning was working up the courage to call. I'm very glad that I did :)
    The upcoming week is going to be very busy! I'm riding with Marty on Wednesday morning. Thursday and Friday I have working interviews at Dr. Hendrix's clinic. Being able to ride with one of the best all around trainers in the state and work with the only board certified equine surgeon (well, he's taking his boards next week) in the state of Utah are opportunities that only God could orchestrate.
    I am a dreamer, and I always have been. The dreams I see ahead of me now is competing in the trainer's challenge next year, and beginning my own string of show horses. Neither of these are going to happen instantly, but now there is opportunity. Also, working in the clinic here in Park City would provide everything necessary to obtain my vet tech specialty in equine. All of that said, next week will determine a lot of what my future here in Utah looks like.
    I'm nervous about my interviews at the clinic because of my lack of experience in equine surgery beyond the simple things that any farm animal vet can accomplish. I ask for prayer for next week. Prayer for peace, prayer for calm of spirit, prayer for clear thinking when working with the veterinarians, and prayer for provision of transportation should I get the job.
    Anywho, hopefully that made some sort of sense. Right now I'm so excited and there is so much running through my mind that I don't know if it even makes sense to me! Praising God's never ending faithfulness - Kate :)

1 comment: