Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Through All These Cities And All These Towns...

It seems like every time I feel settled somewhere it is time to move again. As I sit here too write and process what has happened over the past couple of weeks my room is full of rubbermaid bins that are in some stage of being packed once again. It hasn't sunk in yet that I am really moving again. 5 moves, 5 states, in 7.5 years.

A little back history: I have been job hunting for I don't know how long, and have put in over 70 inquiries or applications in 7 states. Over the past couple of weeks I had a series of interviews and working interviews at several places: A dog kennel, an after hours animal er clinic, and lastly a small animal clinic in Oregon. The original job posting for the Oregon clinic was for a receptionist, so I applied to it as a foot in the door type job and didn't think much of it past that. The Animal ER was the job I wanted at the time, and that interview had gone very well. The day I received an offer from the ER, and was about to accept the offer, Blue Sky called from Oregon with a new offer for a full time technician with higher pay and benefits than the ER. They wanted me to come in for an interview the following Monday (mind you this was Thursday afternoon, November 6th). When they had called 2 weeks previous I was just going in for surgery to get my wisdom tooth pulled, but we had discussed me going up on the 10th to interview for the receptionist position... after receiving the offer from the ER I had planned on turning down the interview, until they called and said they needed a technician as well. While on the phone with the office manager she mentioned my previous working with Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and that it really caught her attention because there are several Christians on staff. During my interview we even talked about what church she and her husband attend in Bend, it was really cool. So, long story shortened, I drove to Bend on Saturday the 8th, interviewed the 10th, accepted their offer on the 12th, and my first day of work is December 1st.

I leave to spend Thanksgiving in Reno with Aaron and his family a week from today, we will be swinging back through Utah on our way back to Oregon to pick up my stuff, so I have a week from now to get packed. The last couple of weeks have been an emotional rollercoaster. Excited about the new job, crying to be leaving my family, pumped up about getting to learn a new town, sad because here finally feels like home, thrilled to be moving to the same town as Aaron and his family, crying because I am leaving my friends... etc etc etc. Over this time God has given me several passages that I have found rest and security in, even through the tears (heck I am crying as I write this).

Back on the 4th, so days before I heard from Blue Sky, I read a quote a mentor of mine shared that said "Passion gives focus - An understanding of your purpose and mission." and it has helped with sorting through these decisions. My primary passion is to honor God, followed by my passion for the people in my life, then my career. Taking the job at the Animal ER I would have been working nights and basically have had very little interaction with those around me, and especially Aaron, and it had the potential to cause separation in relationships instead of promoting healthy relationships with my family and friends. The position at Blue Sky I will be working days, be able to have a "normal" dating relationship with Aaron, and still be able to talk to my family and friends regularly. On the same day I was contemplating that quote I found myself reading in 1 Peter 5:6-10, "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spirit, be on alert. Your adversary the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. After you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." Looking at this move I can say that God has prepared (perfected) me for the responsibility of living on my own and taking care of my own place, as well as prepared my heart to put my all into this new job, even though it is small animal instead of equine. He confirmed it in my heart through His word and through the testimony of many others. I can't even number the people who have contacted me saying they are praying and that this is where God wants me to go. Right now I know it is His strength and not mine that is keeping my feet moving, there are points in the packing process that I just want to curl up and cry because moving away from home is just plain hard. His strength will carry me through this transition over the next weeks and months, and His promise to establish me where I am headed is a light at the end of this job search tunnel that has taken almost 18 months.

As I opened my journal this morning I was greeted by Psalms 128:1-2 at the top of the page, "How happy is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways! You will surely eat what your hands have worked for. You will be happy, and it will go well for you." It brought tears afresh this morning, but not tears of grief over leaving, but tears of peace and joy that I can stand on His promises.

Time to dig into the packing... I wish I had a magic wand so my stuff would pack itself! After so many moves I can almost do this in my sleep... There is more road ahead, another city, another place to honor God and impact lives for Christ. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment